Couleur Café is a music festival dedicated to all currents of urban music across the world including R&B, hiphop, world, afro, reggae, ragga, dub, dancehall, latin, salsa, son, raï, rock and dance. It is definitely an urban festival anchored in the heart of Brussels and its social reality. The impressive industrial site of Tour & Taxis, with its unique buildings, is the perfect spot for this festival that reflects the European capital’s population diversity and mixes of cultures. It’s a festival that will have you travel without having to leave the city.
It is also a place where 3 music marquees and one open-air stage cohabitate with an art exhibition, 50 world-kitchen stalls, a flea market, dance classes, freestyle demonstrations and non-governmental organizations. Started in 1990, Couleur Café spreads nowadays over 3 festive Summer nights and gathers each year more than 70 000 visitors around tolerance and understanding in a cheerful and merry atmosphere.
The Summer starts at Couleur Café, the most colourful festival of the country, so mark the dates for its 21st edition of 2010: from Friday 25th June until Sunday 27th June at Tour & Taxis Brussels. The temperature already rises by a few degrees!
I’ve always liked to add a certain latin touch to my sets, so this contest is a great opportunity for me to share this affinity with the rest of the world. The people who joined me last Summer at the Anco Summer Terrace 2009 will know what I mean and I would like to thank them for joining our private loungy beach parties. Maybe this demo mix brings some nice memories back?
I’ve spent quite some time selecting the right tracks and putting them in an uplifting order. During my preparations I’ve used 2 new software applications:
- MixShare’s Rapid Evolution, an advanced music library and harmonic mixing tool, able to detect both the BPM and key of a song
- Native Instruments’ Traktor, the new benchmark in digital DJing, assisting me in my search for the best CUES, HOTCUES and LOOPS
Everything has been recorded live with my Pioneer Pro DJ gear and without any help of the beat synchronization feature of Traktor. I even used plain old CDs instead of a laptop with MP3s. For the mash-up lovers out there I’ve included my personal mash-up of Romy Costa’s ‘Dança Comigo’ with Praful’s ‘Inspiraçao’. While recording a final version of my set, the Audacity software crashed and I had to start all over again.
This is the complete playlist of my I love Latin House set:
- Junior Jack – Hola
- Sven Van Hees – The one 4 me
- Buscemi – The Salon Section
- DJ Chus & David Penn feat. Darren J. Bell – Sunshine (Mediterranean Vocal Mix)
- Vergoclem Band – Sonar
- Jensen & Reynolds feat. Isabel Fructuso – Don’t cry
- Tumbatio – Otros Tiempos (The Bossa House Remix)
- Buscemi feat. Isabelle Antena – Seaside
- Colombian Drum Cartel – The Shipment (Original Mix)
- Gypsymen – Babarabatiri
- La Comitiva feat. Ramiro Suarez Piedro – Merengue (Bailando Extended Mix)
- Romy Costa – Dança Comigo (Extended Mix)
- Praful – Inspiraçao (Hard Soul Treatment)
- Ritmo-Dynamic – Calinda (Laurent Wolf Re-Edit Remix)
- Buscemi – Ramiro’s Theme (Organic Audio Remix)
- Frisco feat. Sonya Santana – A Ritmo De Son (Original Mix)
- Buscemi feat. Alexia Waku – Jumilla
This demo mix is dedicated to all my present and future fans. If you’ve enjoyed it, feel free to share it with your friends. Let’s cross our fingers, hope for the best and wait for the winners to be announced soon at vi.be. Peace!